Friday, April 22, 2016

The Earth Laughs in Flowers

The title is to combine both my art projects here. It is Earth Day today, and yes, we should remember that EVERY day is earth day and we are all accountable.

 This portrait began as a study in using only charcoal to draw the face and then applying just white gesso for varying shades. I should have stopped to take a pic when I did that. But I didn't. And I just couldn't leave it-my brain screamed IT NEEDS SOME COLOR! So I used some pan pastels for the flowers, the cheeks, and the background. The earth and her dress are deli paper monoprints. The heart image from ARTchix Studio.  I will do another and challenge myself to leave it in black and white cuz it really was lovely.

 Linking to Art It Friday- Show Your Face and Paint Party Friday.

My next journal page is for Art Journal Journey- another entry for the theme this month "For The Record". Be inspired by a  song. I am also linking it to Try It on Tuesday where Valerie has provided a beautiful spring themed mood board for inspiration, and to Moo Mania and More for the theme of "floral".


 The image is from ARTchix Studio and the flowers are vellum stickers. I can't help but having all these French songs in my head lately as I am keeping up with Patty and Jim on FB as they vacation all around France. Their photos are absolutely stunning and have me yearning for another trip there myself!

 Of course you must hear the song as well. The original by Edith Piaf:


 I have read her biography Piaf A Passionate Life by David Bret. It had me completely drawn in and yet it was a tragic and heartbreaking life she had. I have the movie La Vie En Rose starring one of my very favorite French actresses Marion Cotillard as Edith Piaf and she gave a stunning performance in this mesmerizing movie!!

 Would love for you to join in at any -or all- of the challenges mentioned above! See you soon!

" You cannot get through a single day without having an impact on the world around you. What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make."
                                                                                           Jane Goodall



35 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about taking things a little too far but I can't imagine your painting being any better. It is lovely and adding color is my favorite thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is very cute. The coulple seems to be very happy. Beautiful piece.
    Have a wonderful PPF and weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Earth Day project and the journal page are both wonderful, and Edith Piaff is an absolute legend. Thanks for making another page for Art Journal Journey, and for all your support this month, and thanks for joining us again at TIOT! Have a great weekend, Happy PPF, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love both of these pieces. I need to take out my pan pastels- I just love how those flowers came out. I have always wanted to see that movie and haven't yet. I'm glad you reminded me to get it back into the front of my brain. I have a French inspired page for AJJ for next week- just need to finish up a few details. Boy isn't this month flying right by? Hope you have some of this beautiful warm weather we have right now, and hopefully it will not totally disappear. I don't mind it a bit cooler but no more cold thank you. Have a wonderful weekend. :) Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is very pretty - the colours add to it imho.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful, Linda, and a very fitting tribute to Earth Day. I like the Jane Goodall quote, too. I think about that often as I drive down my country road and see fast food papers and debris along the sides of the road. What others do really does affect me - and vice versa.

    ReplyDelete
  7. such beautiful work and a lovely tribute to earth day,,thank you for enlightening us of Edith Piaf!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely work for the themes Linda! Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a special tribute to Earth Day. I absolutely LOVE this tribute to our only home. Your Earth Day entry really spoke to me. You make pan pastels look easy to use, too!

    Your beautiful Parisian page is incredible, and this is one time (ONLY ONE TIME) I wish I was on Facebook. How awesome that you get to follow Patty through France, where I know your heart is right now.

    These are both incredible entries and the artist, who was new to me, is remarkable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both pieces are amazing dear Linda! Just Beautiful!
    Thank you for linking to TioT's, Moo Mania & More and another entry for the AJJ theme!
    You combined all together just fabulous!
    Wishing you a happy PPF - Happy Earthday and a wonderful weekend!
    oxo Susi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I love this old Piaf chanson and you have done such a fitting image around this song. I also like the first girl very much! Ulrike

    ReplyDelete
  12. She looks lovely Linda. I can understand how you must have felt. I do the same. Always want to add color and more colors to my art:-)
    Happy weekend
    SusaN

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad you added colour as I would have done the same...I can never resist...lovely results linda

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your earth day piece is beautiful! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful artwork Linda, a wonderful tribute to Earth Day.
    It's perfect to see that video clip because I've started French lessons this week.
    Happy PPF and Earth day to you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The figure of the lady is very much in the style of an early Renaissance beauty. This is very delicately done, and she does seem so regal with her crown of flowers. Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your portrait is simply beautiful! It has a very vintage feel, and has the feel of oa porcelain doll. Blessings, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A great song and a beautiful page!!! Both pieces are fabulous, Linda.
    Thank you for joining us at Try it on Tuesday.
    Mar x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ah great Linda and I love your Vie en Rose piece, a wonderful tribute and thanks for that video, I love Edith Piaf!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your portrait is gorgeous, so soft and delicate and a wonderful tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a gorgeous face...I love the blend of charcoal and gesso.. the screaming to add colour is your own personal style..so glad you did heed the call for colour!! Anything else would be working against yourself!! Wonderful pages!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your Earth - such a beautiful portrait.
    I grew up with the chansons by Edith Piaf - my mother loved her and thus we heard her quite often in our home. So many memories are connected with her music.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have trouble working with no color too. I always end up adding more color than often necessary. I love both pieces. Thanks for sharing the music.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love your art work. I enjoyed the Edith Piaf song too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. A fabulous page Linda, love the romantic couple with those gorgeous colours.
    Great portrait and thoughtful quote too.
    Avril x
    p.s. Thanks for sharing with us at TioT

    ReplyDelete
  26. Awesome journal pages Linda its a fabulous portrait and words, and a super song to go with the romantic couple. Thank you for joining us over at TioT's as well.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love your portait - she looks as though she is deep in thought! You have created a fabulous page for Edith Piaf's fabulous song! So pleased you joined us at Try It On Tuesday! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hello Linda, your art here is wonderful. I love your "Earth Day" portrait, she looks so innocent and good, and I think you have coloured it beautifully.
    Then there is quite a change of atmosphere with "la Vie en Rose".
    Thanks for the terrific theme at AJJ.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful artwork and I love Edith Piaf

    Thank you for joining us at MOO MANIA & MORE

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love your beautiful art and always want to try to make some like it! <3 I hope you are enjoying the spring time!

    ReplyDelete
  31. You've been creative again, beautiful.
    I've been busy sewing again...fun but takes all my time... :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Sorry, my comment is so late, been having busy days.

    She's beautiful, and I like her serene face a lot.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments; it's a pleasure to connect with you!