Friday, June 21, 2013

SUMMERTIME!!!

  Today, Friday, it is summer solstice-officially the first day of summer- at least in my part of the world. Oh how I look forward to this season!! And I always celebrate by listening to the following song. This a rendition by Norah Jones. And for those of you going into the winter season, I hope this warms your spirit.



   For the art part..I have more gelli print pieces to show you from my gelli plate play day with my friend LuAnn. You can read about my first post about it here.

    First up- some of our results printing on fabric! I brought along some pieces of muslin along with a few patterned swatches to try out.

     This is the patterned swatch we used:

 And here are our prints on this fabric:

 This is LuAnn's first (and only) fabric print (I will get her to do more next time:):). Isn't it so soft and beautiful in this light blue and pink??
  Of course, I just had to go bold and vibrant! :


  I'm definitely going to play on printed fabric more-what about you?

  These were printed on plain muslin:

  
 


  I also printed on recycled tea bags:




  I thought it would be fun to put these transparent tea bags over some patterned card stock. And here is how I finished them:



  I wanted to do some abstract/texture play and I liked the black and white pattern for these. They're a tad larger than an ATC so I'll call them miniatures :). The printed tea bags were sewn onto  the patterned paper. I then glued down a mesh square to each and sewed on the black and white chip board buttons using wire, wrapping the wires to the back. They were then glued to black card stock.
 
 In my last post I shared some CAS cards I made inspired by the Simon Says Stamp and Show challenge for this week which is "kraft". I got two more done before cleaning up and putting the kraft note cards away.


 This one is so CAS it may even be considered minimalist graphic :) Products: kraft note card and striped paper-Canvas; die cut doily accent- Colorbok; white adhesive dot-Jo-Ann Craft Essentials.

 The second card:

  Products: kraft note card-Canvas; patterned paper-DCWV; die cut tag- K & Company; die cut bird-Colorbok; rubber stamp-PSX; VersaFine Onyx Black ink pad-Tsukineko.


  And now I leave you with my two very favorite summer quotes:

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon...the two most beautiful words in the English language." Henry James

                           "In summer, the song sings itself." William Carlos Williams

48 comments:

  1. Oh how I love the geli prints on fabric..excellent pieces so unique and bohemian...great idea!! Wonderful post and happy first day of summer! We have tons of rain in the forecast!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, you definitely had a wonderful summer day creating with your friend. Each pattern is beautiful and so different. I love the feather stencil.

    Thank you for the song and the quote. So much summer fun here today. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great card - I love that striped background and the stitched details. Thanks for joining us for this week's Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The prints on the fabric are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. is'nt perspective a wonderful thing. here I was this morning on yet another miserable grey Scottish day thinking how this was the longest day, that from here on in the nights would start getting shorter and we hadn't even had a proper summer! I much prefer your thinking that today is actually the first official day of summer-glass half full is always better!
    I love that song and summer afternoon really are the best two words in the English language!
    I really like the prints on the fabric but am completely in love with your printed tea bags! how ingenius and they look fab against the monochrome with the stitching on them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, that's funny, I've been finally using my gelliplate for the first time since I bought it, and I've been printing on fabric too! I loved it and will definitely make more. Love all the pieces you made, and the art with the teabags. Amazing ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fun prints! Makes me want to print on fabric, too!!
    ♥♥♥
    Happy PPF!!
    Mary
    Mixed-Media Map Art

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful work Linda, love the printed fabrics! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  9. That printing on fabric is fabulous! OK, well... really, its all fabulous! Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your gelli prints, and especially what you did with them in the two artsy layered cards. As to the Kraft cards, the red one with the doily is my favorite. Blessings, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love these compositions with exquisite colors. very fresh for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What great fabric 1prints you made, Linda! And, I like all of your other projects, too. Norah Jones is one of my favorites. Thanks for the music!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are so prolific... and so very creative!! Love the fabric prints and the teabags too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm very impressed! The gelli prints are wonderfully done (like the sound of these gelli plates).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gelli plate is on my wishlist. LOVE Norah Jones and LOVE the song...thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. There is always loads to see and admire here! I love your summer quote by Henry James and I too love Norah Jones, her voice is velvet! Have a great start to summer! xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I always love PPF so I can come visit and see what you've created with that Gelli Plate....luv it all! Happy Solstice and HPPF!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ah, I love the song. Reminds me of the play Porgy and Bess and the song Summertime as it was sung. Awesome. Great Gelli prints. You work well.:)
    I will spread my wings and take to the sky.:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lot of creating you've been doing. The prints are all so interesting - love all the colors and patterns. Your CAS cards are great - one of my favorite type of cards - no muss no fuss!! HPPF

    ReplyDelete
  20. printing on those recycled tea bags really turned out beautifully... gives me idea for all the ones I have building up here in the studio...xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. love your all fabrics,great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awesome prints, super inspiring! <3 Love that song, too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderfully creative prints ~ love the designs and colors ~ Happy Week to you ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  24. yes, finally the summer is here, which I also always wait eagerly. Your prints are wonderful and capture this beautiful feeling. Love the song too :) hugs - Erika

    ReplyDelete
  25. love all the layers and colours especially the green feather

    ReplyDelete
  26. Fascinates me how much detail and time this must take. Looking good.Happy PPF to you.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think I'm the only person left who doesn't have a gelli print thingie. I really like the tea bag prints and the patterned muslin. That green and blue one is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Fun post and lovely work. Love your quotes about summer. :) HPPF

    ReplyDelete
  29. You have so much fun! Good for you :)

    Never really thought about printing on fabric ..... hmmmmmm

    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  30. Gorgeous pages! Nice to see how the gelli prints work on fabrics too!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great gelli prints! i love that feather. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Everything you have created here is fab! I have never done this Gelli thing, but it looks really cool! I love your abstract ATCs.
    Hugs,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh my stars!! Linda, your fabric printing is amazing!!. I'm inspired :). Look like you had a marvelous day!. I do enjoy the spirit of the full moon last weekend, despite the haze we have here :). Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wonderful gelli prints and the idea with the tea bag is just brilliant.
    Cheers
    Gabriele 5

    ReplyDelete
  35. Beautiful fabric printing!! And printing on the tea bags?! Genius!! Very cool stuff happening here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. love them all but the doily is my favorite! you've been busy!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I've been hearing so much about gelli prints, but haven't tried it yet. I do have muslin... Like your soft flowered tea bags too, before you put the other layers on. Love Norah and Summertime, but am sitting in front of the computer without AC in 97 degree heat. Not very happy about that! {:-Deb

    ReplyDelete
  38. I like your miniature art pieces very much! I did make a lot of ATCs a few weeks back but the 'itch' stopped suddenly... I'm all index cards now... teehee... Thanks for the inspiration and happy ~ belated ~ Glue it Tuesday. Hug from Holland

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wow! These are all terrific. I haven't tried the gelli on fabric yet, so thank you for the inspiration! Your new minis/ and cards are great with the teabags and the die cut pieces. Thank you for your comment on my post last Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Love the prints especially! And I'd like to do prints on fabric and on paper! It's just so fun and graphic and surprising :-)

    Soon it's party time again!
    Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  41. You've made me want to rush out to my painting shed and get my geli plate to start playing too. Love the idea of using printed fabrics. Will definitely give that a go!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Happy summer! I enjoyed the Summer solstice at Rehoboth!

    ReplyDelete
  43. What an imaginative series! And who would have thought of using recycled teabags to print on! My favourite is you MoM pic - i like the contrast between the ordered pattern and free texture - and the colour is great! Thank you for being part of Mandarin Orange Monday:)

    ReplyDelete
  44. I can tell you were inspired by her beautiful music! Lovely work. Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments; it's a pleasure to connect with you!